We have all heard of honey and have a general understanding of its health and beauty benefits. Propolis, however, remains one of the lesser-known bee-sourced ingredients. We are here to tell you all about how propolis is made, the benefits of propolis for hair and how to incorporate propolis hair products into your haircare and styling routine.
What is Propolis?
Propolis is a resin-like substance, whose make-up varies depending on the trees and flowers the bees have access to. The main ingredient of propolis is resin. Resin is a fluid with antiseptic properties produced by trees to rapidly seal over tree wounds and protect against invading insects and pathogens. Bees use resins to create propolis which they use in the construction and repair of the hive.
How propolis is made:
- Specialized bees extract resins from the buds of certain trees using their tongues and jaws.
- The bees bring it to the hive in the form of large drops in their pollen baskets.
- The bees change the composition of the resin by adding certain secretions and wax to it.
- The propolis is used in various ways: to cover the walls of the hive, to seal the combs and cells, to pack and embalm intruders. All of this helps to disinfect the beehive!
Here is a quick breakdown of the composition of propolis:
- 55% sap and resin from young plants and trees
- 10% essential oils
- 5% plant pollen
- 30% bodily bee balsams, enzymes and wax
Propolis fast facts:
- Produced & used by bees to build strong beehives
- One of the most potent natural antibacterial & protective shields in the plant world
- The most sterile place in nature is a beehive - because of propolis
- As with honey, no batch of propolis is ever the same
Propolis for hair
Due to its amazing antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties, propolis is a popular natural ingredient used to treat all kinds of ailments.
This substance is created by the bees to repair, strengthen and protect their bee hives. We use this ingredient in our styling line, to provide the exact same benefits for your hair. Our propolis is a styling multi-tasker: propolis naturally strengthens, volumizes, enhances hair texture, prevents breakage & split-ends and protects to enhance styling results.
All of Gisou’s propolis-infused products contain propolis. In addition, due to its proven regenerative benefits for the skin and hair, it is also included in our Honey Infused Scalp Treatment and our complexion range. Our Mirsalehi Propolis is sustainably sourced from our own bee garden.
What are the benefits of propolis for the hair?
1. Propolis Protects and Strengthens hair
Propolis is an effective free-radical fighter. Free radicals are hard to avoid in our daily lives, they include environmental factors such as pollution, sun exposure, and radiation. Exposure to free radicals can leave your hair lacklustre, dry, frizzy and damaged. As propolis is abundant in antioxidants, it protects the hair from these aggressors and keeps it looking and feeling healthy.
Propolis also helps to fortify the hair against breakage and split ends by creating a protective barrier around the hair strand. This barrier helps to defend the hair from external factors such as heat but also protects the hair from physical damage caused by hair ties etc. This barrier also helps to lock in moisture, keeping your hair hydrated when you are out and about.
This powerful combination of antioxidant properties and protective effects makes propolis an excellent ingredient for our styling line, as it works to effectively protect your hair from heat and UV.
2. Propolis promotes hair growth
Propolis is one of the most promising natural ingredients when it comes to enhancing hair growth and preventing hair loss. How cool is that?
Hair loss is caused by a number of things, but inflammation is one of the main culprits. As propolis is an anti-inflammatory powerhouse, it helps to stimulate hair growth and prevent hair loss. Not only this, some studies have even shown that the application of propolis to the scalp can work wonders for hair growth as it helps increase the number of cells involved in the hair growth process.
Due to these amazing benefits, it’s easy to understand why we have included propolis as a key ingredient in our Honey Infused Scalp Treatment.
3. Propolis is perfect for styling
Propolis is your ultimate styling companion. Here are just a few of the amazing benefits of propolis in our styling products:
- Extend the longevity of your hairstyle
- Protect against breakage and split ends
- Create a humidity-resistant shield to prevent frizz and flyaways
- Provide workable hold during heat styling
- Enhance texture, volume, and definition
- All without leaving your hair feeling weighed down.
For added texture and hold try our Propolis Infused Texturising Wave Spray.
For volume, definition and hold try our Propolis Infused Polishing Primer.
For lightweight, effective protection from heat and UV try our Propolis Infused Heat Protecting Spray.
4. Propolis reduces damage to the hair follicle
Studies have shown that propolis has a stimulatory effect on hair growth and reduces damage to the hair follicle. Due to anti-inflammatory effects, propolis has the ability to promote the growth of cells that contribute to hair health, growth and increases the strength of the hair root.
Scalp issues often mean weaker hair follicles which lead to hair loss, which is why propolis is one of the key ingredients of our Honey Infused Scalp Treatment. This product targets the scalp, where skin conditions such as scalp dermatitis, psoriasis or dandruff occur, causing inflammation of the skin cells and hair follicles.
The use of a scalp treatment containing propolis once or twice a week can help rebalance the scalp microbiome and reduce scalp irritation, resulting in visibly healthier, fuller and shinier hair.
How to use propolis for your hair
For an in-depth look into each of our propolis hair products and how to use them, check out these articles:
- Propolis Infused Polishing Primer
- Propolis Infused Texturising Wave Spray
- Propolis Infused Heat Protecting Spray
Experience the benefits of propolis for your hair
Adding propolis into your haircare routine is a great idea. This amazing natural ingredient is full of therapeutic properties to strengthen and protect your hair. Check out our propolis hair product line for the ultimate bee-based styling routine.