Just like you use a face primer to provide a good base, help your make-up last longer, and hydrate and smooth your skin, a primer for your hair acts in a similar way. A hair primer is essentially a product that preps your hair for styling. Let’s dive a little deeper what a primer is and what it can do for your hair.
What is a hair primer + the benefits
A hair primer, like our Propolis Infused Polishing Primer, helps prep your hair before styling and makes your hairstyle last longer. Whether you have fine, frizzy, thick, curly or straight hair, any hair type can benefit from the use of a primer thanks to its numerous functions and benefits.
The benefits of using a primer for your hair:
- Prevents and diminishes frizz
- Adds texture, volume, and definition
- Ensures optimal workable hold while using heated styling tools
- Reduces drying time
- Minimizes breakage from detangling and brushing
- Helps your hair look and feel smooth, shiny and soft
- Refreshes second-day hair styles by adding texture back
Propolis: the key ingredient
The key ingredient in the Gisou Polishing Primer is propolis derived from the Mirsalehi bee garden, which contains numerous oils, vitamins, minerals and flavonoids. It benefits your hair by protecting it and keeping it healthy.
Propolis, used by bees to build their strong beehives, is a richly fortifying hair care ingredient ideal for protecting from heat damage, adding texture, creating volume, retaining moisture, as well as preventing breakage and split ends.
The benefits of propolis for your hair:
- Reduces damage to the hair follicle
- Increases the strength of the hair root
- Prevents breakage and split ends
- Enhances volume and texture
- Promotes the growth of cells that contribute to hair growth
How to use the Polishing Primer
Firstly, you might wonder how much primer you need to apply to your hair. We recommend applying a pea-sized amount of primer into your palms and rub your hands together to warm the product and activate the ingredients. You can apply the product to towel-dried or dry hair.
1. Before heat styling:
Apply a pea-sized amount of primer to towel-dried hair or dry hair before using heated styling tools. After using a primer, always follow up with a heat protecting spray. Then, style as desired using a hair dryer, curling tool, straightener or any other hair styling tool.
As a last step in your styling routine, you can then use a little bit of primer to dry hair to tame any flyaways and prevent frizz.
2. To refresh second-day hair:
Our Polishing Primer is also the perfect product to add some texture and hold back into second-day hair. Scrunch a pea-sized amount into the lengths of your hair to enhance texture and tame frizz.
3. To enhance your natural curls:
Scrunch the product into the lengths of your hair whilst damp, to enhance curls and prevent frizz as they dry.
4. For heatless curls:
Remember Negin’s heatless curls hack? It’s the perfect summer hair style for days on which you don’t want to use any styling tools. Prepping your hair with the Polishing Primer is a key step in this routine, as it helps to hold the curls.
Why the Polishing Primer is a great multitasker:
- For volume, massage the primer into your scalp using your fingertips.
- For hold, work the primer into your hair from root to tip and style as desired.
- For texture, scrunch the primer into the hair.
- To define curls, apply the primer to your fingertips and wrap around the curls that you want to define.
- For a sleek, frizz-free hairstyle, apply the primer with your fingertips to smooth out any baby hairs. You can also apply the primer to a spoolie to gently brush away any flyaways.
- Extra tip: you can even use the Polishing Primer to fix your eyebrows. Simply apply a small amount to a spoolie and brush through your brows.
If you’re someone who regularly styles your hair with heated styling tools, or if you deal with frizzy hair, you might want to consider using a primer. Once you’ve added a primer to your hair care routine and have experienced the benefits, there’s no looking back!