Learning how to style naturally wavy hair can be challenging, but it doesn't have to be! Using the right products and routine to help tame and take advantage of your beautiful, natural waves can make all the difference. It just takes a little practice!
Here’s everything you need to know about how to style naturally wavy hair like a pro, starting with the prep to finding solutions with and without heat. Let’s get to work!
Styling Waving Hair Begins with Prep
When taking advantage of beautiful wavy locks, the key is to take your time with the prep stage. When your hair is fresh out of the shower, the right products and techniques can make a difference.
Washing and Conditioning
There are a few essential pointers that individuals with wavy hair should know when it concerns washing and conditioning their hair. For starters, using the right combination can make all the difference. It also matters how often you wash and condition.
What To Use
Your shampoo and conditioner should be filled with nourishing ingredients that complement your hair type and enhance its natural state. The shampoo should be sulfate-free and clarifying to help remove any build-up that could be blocking hair growth.
Gisou’s Honey-infused Shampoo is an excellent example because it is a gentle cleanser with significant benefits. Girls with wavy hair often worry about stripping away the natural oils that help provide their hair texture and shape.
This shampoo contains amino acids, argan oil, honey, and other natural ingredients that protect and repair damage. The same can be said for Gisou’s Honey Infused Conditioner. You will want a conditioner that leaves your hair fully hydrated. Why? Because when wavy hair is thoroughly dried out, it turns frizzy.
When To Use It
Knowing when to shampoo and condition is also essential. Overdoing will dry the hair out or kick your oil glands into overproduction, making your hair feel greasy at all times. And, of course, your locks will feel more limp than bouncy without a good wash.
- When you have wavy hair, you can wash it every two to three days. Your natural oils will give it its texture and keep it hydrated.
- Every time you wash your hair, you should also give it a good condition. In fact, you should also use Gisou’s Leave-in Conditioner to detangle any knots you encounter before styling.
Deep conditioning provides intense hydration and repair for naturally wavy hair. It is the extra TLC your wavy hair needs to look its best.
What To Use
A hair mask like Gisou’s is the ultimate option. A hair mask is meant to deeply penetrate through the outer layer of the hair strand and lock in moisture. The Miraseli Honey is the core ingredient that acts as a natural humectant and emollient, so the hydrating molecules grip the hair. So long damaged hair.
How To Use It
When it comes to styling wavy hair and hair masks, we recommend leaving them on overnight. While you can do a 20-minute pre-shower session, leaving the mask on overnight allows for enough time for the antioxidants, vitamins, and amino acids to really do their job.
When you wake up, go ahead and go through your shampoo routine and wash out any excess. When you’re done, you’ll be ready to start styling the hair.
Towel Drying without Causing Frizz
One of the most difficult parts of the process is drying our hair. Heat damage is never fun, but the towel causes so much frizz. With the right product and process, we can solve this—hint: Wavy hair should follow similar protocols to curly hair.
- Say goodbye to terry cloth towels and hello to microfiber towels. While terry cloth is absorbent, the loop can be quite abrasive for our hair. In this case, it can cause breakage and frizz. Swap it out for something more gentle such as a microfiber towel.
- Grab a good detangler like Gisou’s Leave-in Conditioner. This will help smooth out your hair as you start to brush it gently. Spray evenly from the mid-lengths of the hair to the ends. We don’t want to get greasy roots too soon!
- Continue squeegeeing your hair with the towel to create your natural waves while also drying your hair. We call this the scrunch method, which will allow your hair to continue to dry naturally.
A Wide-Tooth Comb is Wavy Hair's Best Friend
When you use a tool to detangle wavy hair, a wide-tooth comb is certainly the way to go. The reason is that a bristle brush will break up the hair and cause it to frizz out. It also will break up your natural waves. Being able to detangle without being destructive is key.
How to Style Wavy Hair With or Without Heat
Now, we know what we should be using, so how do we put together the perfect wavy look? No matter your hairstyle or whether you have long or short wavy hair, this is how to get you a wavy look.
Defining Your Waves
Here are a few methods that are specific to your wave type!
- 2A waves are on the looser side and are generally described as a tousled look. When you dry comb through this type of wavy hair, you can really frizz out. Use a minimal amount of lightweight curl or wave-defining product such as Gisou’s Texturizing Wave Spray, and flip your hair upside down as you apply it. Gisou Hair Oil is a great option to get rid of unwanted frizz. Scrunch with your hands to define the look.
- 2B is your medium wavy hair and is a bit more defined. Because this type of hair holds curls well, you can use your wide-tooth comb to brush it out and use a heavier leave-in conditioner to provide extra moisture.
- 2C is the closest thing we have to curly hair. It’s a thin line but also holds texture very well. Typically, this hair is more coarse in nature, so it’s time to use both an overnight hair mask and a combination of oil and leave-in conditioner. Continue to keep away from the roots after the shampoo and condition.
Air Drying Naturally Wavy Hair
When you go through the process above, you can naturally let your hair dry after the towel dry and scrunching. This is the healthiest approach for your hair as you don’t have to worry about extra heat causing damage or drying out your hair. The drier your hair is, the farther away from heat you should stay.
Blow Drying Naturally Wavy Hair with a Diffuser
It’s not always possible to get away without blow-drying your hair. But don’t just use any blow dryer; you will want to have a diffuser attachment. Diffusers add shape and volume and help define existing waves in naturally wavy hair. This is because the heat is dispersed more broadly rather than a hot push to one area, breaking up the hair and waves.
Creating Beachy Waves without Heat
There is an old-fashioned trick that must not be forgotten. Sleeping in braids is a beautiful way to create beach waves. But what most people forget is to spray the hair first with Giou’s texturizing wave hair spray which will help enhance the waves that much more. When you wake up in the morning, take the braid out, give your hair another spray, and brush it out with a wide comb. Hello, Aquamarine!
Styling Short Wavy Hair
Not all mermaids have to have long hair. In fact, it’s on trend to have short hair, and styling it with some waves is the perfect volume boost. For short hair, you will want to stay on the same haircare routine mentioned above with the scrunch and either blow drying with a diffuser or towel-drying.
But here are two looks we love for short, wavy hair.
- The wavy bob, left as is, is a beautiful look as it provides a lot of volume to short hair. It also enhances the bone structure in one's face as it highlights the jawline.
- If you want to enhance your jawline even more, pin one side of your hair back off your face.
But that’s not all we can do. Updo’s and half updos are also great options for both short and long wavy hair.
Making a Wavy Updo or Half Updo
- A wavy high pony or low pony is a beautiful updo, no matter where it sits. This brings extra volume to a traditional ponytail, giving you that full, luxurious look.
- You can also choose to comb back just the top part of your hair to create a half-up, half-down look. Section your hair by pulling back the hair closest to the forefront of your head. You can comb it back into a pony, a low bun, or even a top knot bun for this look.
- Let’s not forget braids with wavy hair. You can section your hair just like in the step above and make it into pulled-back braids for a more intricate look.
Straightening Wavy Hair with a Flat Iron
It’s normal to want what we can’t have. That’s why sometimes women with curly or wavy hair opt for the right iron. If you wish to have straight hair, this is a better option than a frizzy blowout. However, it can be more damaging. It is crucial to use a high-quality heat protectant that goes over 400 degrees Fahrenheit of protection.
The Best Products for Styling Wavy Hair
Gisou’s Leave-in Conditioner is perfect for most girls with wavy hair. The goal is to soften hair, tame frizz, and provide the ultimate wavy results. It also doubles as a heat protectant and detangler. This is due to the Baobab extract that also fights off UV rays.
Heat Protecting Spray
Using a heat-protecting spray is crucial. Gisou offers a few key elements that should not go unnoticed. Gisou Propolis Infused Heat Protecting Spray will protect your hair from hot tools up to 230ᵒC/446ᵒF. It also has a special UV filter combination to protect against the sun. This will help with the main task of eliminating breakage.
A hair serum is thicker than a hair oil and may be a fantastic solution for coarse hair and tight waves. Gisou Hair Repair Serum will add shine and provide incredible moisture to define waves that offer a lightweight solution to avoid build-up. This is thanks to the ingredient Keraguard, which also doubles as another alternative heat protectant.
Texturizing Wave Spray
Gisou’s Texturizing Wave Spray is ideal for beachy hair and defining natural waves. This is what you can use on top of overnight braids. Propolis is the main ingredient here and is produced by bees that help build their strong beehives.
It helps prevent major breakage while being sure to boost hair texture, volume, and definition. Gisou’s Texturizing Wave Spray also works to strengthen the strands, eliminating breakage.
We mentioned hair oiling is a lightweight solution to add some shine and hydration. Hair oils should be a powerhouse with ingredients that enrich your hair and help restore it. Gisou’s Hair Oil adds instant shine and tames frizz. The best part? It’s all clinically proven.
Putting The Work In For Ultimate Styling
Knowing your hair and what works for you goes hand in hand. With the help of some amazing products, you should feel like they do the work for you instead of having to do all the heavy lifting. If you are in the market for a product overhaul, then look no further than Gisou’s full range of hair care products.
Our products are infused with Mirsalehi Honey, a powerhouse ingredient that provides intense nourishment and moisture. Say goodbye to dry, frizzy hair and hello to shiny, beautiful, wavy locks.